June 14 2020

The Worship Service will live stream here

You can also join up this Sunday at 10:30 via Zoom
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9916315530 You can also log in by Phone at 1-646-558-8656
You will be prompted for the meeting ID followed by the # sign
It will then request a form of user ID, just press the # sign again and you will be able to hear the service by phone; please note, everyone else can hear you too.
Meeting ID: 991 631 5530

Welcome

Call to Worship

Holy and generous is God,
the author of all things;
Loving and gracious is Christ,
the bearer of our salvation;
Gentle and wise is the Holy Spirit,
the breath of new life.
Come, let us worship God, Creator, Saviour and Breath of New Life, with joyful praise and hopeful hearts!

Hymn On Eagle’s Wings

1. You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord,
who abide in his shadow for life
say to the Lord, “ My refuge, my Rock in whom I trust.”

Refrain: And he will raise you upon eagle’s wings,
Bear you on the breath of dawn,
Make you shine like the sun
and hold you in the palm of his hand

2. The snare of the fowler will never capture you.
And famine will bring you no fear,
Under his wings your refuge,
His faithfulness our shield. [refrain]

3. You must not fear the terror of the night,
Nor the arrow that flies by day;
Though thousands all about you,
Near you it shall not come. [Refrain]

Call to Confession

God of grace and wonder, you call us to share what you have blessed us with yet too often we hide and fail to speak of all the ways that you have revealed your presence to us. We regret this failing and seek your pardon as we admit our faults.

Prayer of Confession

Wise and patient God,
We confess that we often stray from your presence.
You have offered us peace
yet our lives feel frustrating and unsettled in these times.
You offer us compassion
yet we feel neglected and resentful amid life’s challenges.
You offer us a mission with meaning and purpose
but we become preoccupied with our own plans and desires.
Forgive us, O God, and draw our attention back to you so that we follow your guidance and trust you as our Shepherd.

Assurance of Pardon

The Lord our God is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness. Know that you are forgiven and be at peace with God, with yourself and with one another.

Prayer for Understanding

Amid the distractions of these days, give us undivided hearts and attentive minds, O God, so that we might listen for your truth and discern your guiding Word, through Christ, your living Word.

First Scripture Reading Psalm 116:1-2, 12-19

1I love the LORD, because he has heard
my voice and my supplications.
2Because he inclined his ear to me,
therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
12What shall I return to the LORD
for all his bounty to me?
13I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the LORD,
14I will pay my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people.
15Precious in the sight of the LORD
is the death of his faithful ones.
16O LORD, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the child of your serving girl.
You have loosed my bonds.
17I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice
and call on the name of the LORD.
18I will pay my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people,
19in the courts of the house of the LORD,
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise the LORD!

Hymn #525 Here I am Lord

I, the Lord of sea and sky
I have heard my people cry
All who dwell in dark and sin
My hand will save

I, who made the stars of night
I will make their darkness bright
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send? [Refrain]

Refrain: Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night
I will go, Lord, if you lead me
I will hold your people in my heart

I, the Lord of snow and rain
I have borne my people's pain
I have wept for love of them
They turn away

I will break their hearts of stone
Give them hearts for love alone
Who will speak my word to them
Whom shall I send?[Refrain]

I, the Lord of wind and flame
I will tend the poor and lame
I will set a feast for them
My hand will save

Finest bread I will provide
'Til their hearts be satisfied
I will give my life to them
Whom shall I send?[Refrain]

Second Scripture Reading Matthew 9:35-10:15

35Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and curing every disease and every sickness. 36When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; 38therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."
10:1Then Jesus summoned his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to cure every disease and every sickness. 2These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon, also known as Peter, and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4Simon the Cananaean, and Judas Iscariot, the one who betrayed him.
5These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans, 6but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7As you go, proclaim the good news, 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.'8Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. You received without payment; give without payment. 9Take no gold, or silver, or copper in your belts, 10no bag for your journey, or two tunics, or sandals, or a staff; for laborers deserve their food. 11Whatever town or village you enter, find out who in it is worthy, and stay there until you leave. 12As you enter the house, greet it. 13If the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it; but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you leave that house or town. 15Truly I tell you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

Prayer of Dedication

God, our Good Shepherd, we are so grateful that you guide us through even the most difficult times. Bless our gifts and make them signs of your presence at work in the world for those who need to be embraced by your love and your strength through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Prayers of Thanksgiving and Intercession

God ever creating,
God ever loving,
God ever leading:
We turn to you in uncertain times, trusting in your steadfast love.
Wherever people are anxious about the future,
overwhelmed by their responsibilities,
or worried because of the upheavals the pandemic has caused,
Bring peace and hope, we pray,
And let your kingdom come.

God of all compassion:
Where people are lonely or isolated, longing for love,
where people are trapped in unhealthy relationships or facing violence each day,
where people are grieving the loss of routines or purpose in their lives, or the loss of someone beloved:
Bring courage and hope, we pray,
And let your kingdom come.

God of tender strength:
Where people feel pain in their bodies, in their minds or spirits,
where people seek healing or help,
where illness has eroded hope and desperation fills each day:
Bring healing and hope, we pray,
And let your kingdom come.

God of trustworthy truth:
Where leaders work to guide the world and their communities to renewed life,
where professionals discern scientific, medical and economic insights to protect and restore the quality of life after the pandemic,
where individuals still strive to care for the earth and its vulnerable inhabitants:
Bring wisdom and hope, we pray,
And let your kingdom come.

God in whom we live and move and have our being:
By your Spirit, tend your promise of new life amid the current struggles in the world you love.
Where hope flickers, reignite its power;
Shine the light of Christ’s love into each life and renew our trust in you

Prayers of the People
The Lord’s Prayer

Hymn #221

1 All people that on earth do dwell,
sing to the LORD with cheerful voice.
Serve him with joy, his praises tell,
come now before him and rejoice!

2 Know that the LORD is God indeed;
he formed us all without our aid.
We are the flock he surely feeds,
the sheep who by his hand were made.

3 O enter then his gates with joy,
within his courts his praise proclaim!
Let thankful songs your tongues employ.
O bless and magnify his name!

4 Because the LORD our God is good,
his mercy is forever sure.
His faithfulness at all times stood
and shall from age to age endure.

Charge and Benediction

Comments

  1. Jack and I enjoyed the service today. It's much better now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second Sunday in Easter